Friday, February 8, 2013

My Other Loves

Next to crafting cards, I'm passionate about two other things: cooking and baking.  I can't tell you when I started baking. I've been doing so ever since I have memory. Cooking on the other hand, is different. I remember clearly that at age 9 my dad said to my 8-year old sister and I, "It's time for you girls to learn how to cook" and he took us into the kitchen and proceeded to teach us the basics of cooking (my dad was a Chef working for the Panama Canal Clubhouse.) I've been cooking ever since. Being that I'm Panamanian of West Indian descent (my parents are first generation Panamanian and my grandparents where from Barbados (on the maternal side) and Jamaica (on the paternal).) the cooking I learnt was traditional West Indian fare as well as Panamanian cuisine.  This doesn't mean I won't try anything else. I'm game for good food.

Last week on Pinterest I saw a recipe for an easy Creamy Chicken pot Pie. I used that recipe as a guide and with a few different ingredients, came up with my own version.  I used a cast iron skillet to cook and bake the dish and here's the final product.

Of course, this offering pleased the lady of the house - my 90 year-old mother - who loves to eat and will try anything I make.

Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
1 package Fajita strips
2 Tbs Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
1 package broccoli, cauliflower & carrots (found in the produce section of your grocery - not frozen)
1 8oz. Cream Cheese
1 Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust (when in a hurry)
1 can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
Garlic
Onion
Bell Peppers
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sauté onion, bell pepper and garlic in Coconut Oil in skillet. Stir in fresh vegetables and add Salt and Pepper to taste. In a separate bowl, mix together the Cream Cheese and Cream of Chicken Soup until creamy. Stir it in the creamed mixture with the vegetables and cook for 3 minutes until bubbly. Place the refrigerated pie crust over vegetables, flute edges, then brush with a beaten egg to give it that golden crust look. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve with a tossed salad. Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment